Skip to main content

Which court should i go to get a restraining order?

Northridge, CA |
Attorney answers 6


San Fernando Courthouse for family law.

I can be reached at 714-542-6200, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday to Friday. Feel free to email me directly at This response will not create an attorney-client relationship between you and Sarieh Law Offices, and is not intended to serve as a legal advice in your specific circumstances. This response is a legal opinion based solely on facts represented by you. You still need to consult an attorney directly to fully protect your legal rights.


Any court in Ca has jurisdiction to issue Domestic Violence Restraining Orders. I suggest you file in the county in which you reside if there are other issues such as child custody, though, to avoid having conflicting orders from different courts, because custody jurisdiction will have to be dealt with in a county that has jurisdiction over you & the other party. But DV TRO's can be sought anywhere in the State.

This is a general answer and does not constitute legal advice. By answering this question, I am not creating an attorney/client relationship, and no such relationship will be created unless a representation agreement is signed by both you and me.


The nearest Los Angeles Superior Court courthouse with a family law department; probably either Van Nuys or San Fernando.


I agree with the other attorneys responses. Any court in California can issue the DVRO, but it would be best and easiest to file in the court house closest to where you live.


Best to file in the Courthouse near you. That I believe is San Fernando.


You should probably try the Chatsworth court house, on prairie street

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer