Skip to main content

Where I can find the "points & authorities" that support my request for 12mos back & current child support?

San Diego, CA |

We live in California and I have primary custody of my brother's 4 children (plus 2 of my own). Unfortunately after 12mos the support order hasn't been modified yet. By law he still has to send support to the children's mom & she refuses to help me with the kids' needs (I was laid off 15mos ago). At our last hearing the judge said she read my request & understands where I'm coming from. I don't understand why she didn't already modify the support order when she's the same judge who gave me primary custody. Anyway she asked for "points & authorities" to grant my request. Please help me find these or direct me to where I can find them. I can't give up on the kids because CPS was involved removing them from the mom's care. But I'm drowning in debt & need this issue resolved soon. Thank you!

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

Unfortunately, there is no website or resource for "canned" points and authorities. A Memorandum of Points and Authorities is based on the unique facts of the case before the court. The points are your arguments and the authorities are the cases or codes that support your position. Preparation involves legal research. This type of document s best prepared by an attorney.

DISCLAIMER: This answer is provided solely for informational purposes only. This answer does not constitute legal advice, create an attorney-client relationship, or constitute attorney advertising. Liewen Law is fully compliant with every State and Federal Law, including California SB 94 and the related Civil Code Sections, as well as the FTC Mortgage Assistance Relief Services (MARS) Final Rule. Liewen Law is a debt relief agency helping consumers file for bankruptcy relief under the United States Bankruptcy Code. Liewen Law maintains this website for marketing and informational purposes only. None of the information or materials on this site is legal advice. Nothing on this or associated pages, documents, comments, answers, emails, or other communications should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. Said information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. While we make every effort to keep this site accurate and up to date, we do not guarantee its accuracy and are not responsible for inaccuracies, errors, or omissions.


The previous poster is correct; this type of matter is best handled by an attorney. However, there are resources at your nearest law library that will contain at least very basic points and authorities that you can use as a starting point, if you're set on doing it yourself. Ask the librarian for help finding the guides.


You need to hire an attorney.