Skip to main content

Where does the father in GA have to go to legitimize a child if the pregnant mom moved out of state?

Atlanta, GA |

9 years ago my boyfriends then girlfriend left Georgia and went to Tennessee. He had no idea where to find her. They have now contacted him and he finally got to meet his daughter. However the mom is now refusing to allow him to have her here where he lives to spend time with him and the rest of his family. How does he legitimize so he can get visitation rights?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


If the mother of the child and the child have both been residing in Tennessee for 9 years, then the appropriate jurisdiction to file a Petition for Legitimation would be in the Superior Court of the County where the child and mother reside. I suggest that your boyfriend contact an attorney that practices in the county where the mother and child reside to file the appropriate paperwork.

Please know that this is a general interest posting and does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer