Skip to main content

Where do i file a claim for exemption in palm beach county?

Boynton Beach, FL |

I still have not received a copy of the Writ of Garnishment and my bank accounts were forzen yesterday.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


The creditor is able to freeze account before giving notice, for if it gave advance notice then debtors would withdraw money.

You will get a notice from the creditor because it is required by statute. The notice will explain how to claim your exemptions. Or, you can hire an attorney to make motion to dissolve the garnishment right away if you do qualify for an exemption.

You should not rely upon this answer as legal advice or a legal opinion, and this answer does not create between us an attorney-client relationship. Please consult your own attorney for legal advice.



Do I need to file a claim of exemption if I'm filing for Chapter 13 bankruptcy?


You do not have to wait to get the Claim of Exemption form--you can go to the Clerk's office at either the South County Judicial Complex at 200 W. Atlantic Avenue or the Main Courthouse at 205 North Dixie Highway. Both facilities have self-help centers, but if the judgment is for $15,000.00 or less, your case is in County Court, and the Clerks at the counter will have the form to give you.

Also, keep your eye on when the judgment creditor issues its notices to you. It must serve you with a copy of the Motion for Writ of Garnishment, the Writ of Garnishment, and the Claim of Exemption form within 5 days of issue of the Writ or 3 days of service of the Writ, whichever is later. Then, when the bank gives a response, the judgment creditor must send you another notice within 5 days.

The creditor has 3 days from your service of the Claim of Exemption if you hand deliver it or fax it and mail it, or 8 days from your service if you just mail it, to contest your Claim of Exemption, by a statement under oath. If they do not, then the Clerk is required to dissolve the Writ and no hearing on your Claim of Exemption is required.

Many of the Plaintiff's attorneys practice outside in other parts of the state, and are not aware, or do not care, of a particular requirement relating to the contest of your Claim of Exemption--that the Plaintiff itself and not the attorney representing the Plaintiff must execute the contest of Claim. That is because a ruling in the 4th District Court of Appeal decided last year interprets the statute that way, and Palm Beach County, Martin, Broward, St. Lucie, Okeechobee and Indian River Counties are bound by the 4th DCA decision. So, even if there is a contest of your Claim of Exemption, if it is only the attorney signing their document, you can still have the Writ dissolved, but you will need to bring the deficiency to the attention of the Court at the hearing.

Good luck.

I hope you found this response to be of assistance. This response shall not be considered the rendering of legal advise but instead a general response to a general question. While Avvo is a wonderful resource, nothing can be a substitute for an in-depth consultation with an attorney in the jurisdiction in which the law is to be applied. This response shall not be deemed to create an attorney-client relationship, nor shall it create an obligation on the part of the attorney to respond to further inquiry from the questioner.


At the clerk's office, and also send a copy to the other side's attorney.

R. Jason de Groot, Esq., 386-337-8239