Skip to main content

Where and how do I send "Demand of Discovery" relating to a summons?

New York, NY |

I recently received a summons for public urination. I'd like to issue a Demand of Discovery to get the officer's notes on the matter (according to CPL 240.20, this is afforded to me).

Unfortunately, my schedule precludes me from appearing in person to issue the document. However, I've been informed that it can be mailed to the appropriate party/parties. Does anyone know the exact address(es) that one needs to send it to (I have to send it by mail because my schedule precludes me from appearing in person to do so)?

The summons was issued in Manhattan, and the courthouse my hearing is to be held in is 346 Broadway.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


I appear there all the time. You can't do this in advance. In any event, at most the police officer might have made a small entry in his memo book that you would have the right to see if you go to trial.
If you hire a lawyer you will not have to appear in court. I do this all the time for clients.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer