Skip to main content

When you purchase a home by contract for deed and its almost complete what should you do legally?

San Antonio, TX |

purchased property from homeowner in 2002 for 12 years @ 8% PITI included,1 pymt left ,what should we then do once we have the deed in hand and in our names?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Hire a lawyer to make sure deed is properly drafted. You should also get a title policy.

Good luck.


Mark pointed you in the right direction. Best of luck

Statements posted on the Avvo Q&A section are not legal advice. No prudent person anywhere at any time should ever rely upon any statements posted on the Avvo Q&A section. There is no attorney-client privilege based on this interaction. I am not your attorney and there is no attorney-client privilege up until the moment that we have a signed engagement letter with a clear understanding regarding fees - at which point we will not be discussing your legal issue online on a public Q&A board that anyone in the world can view. You should find an attorney that can best represent your interests: using the Avvo lawyer search is one of many possible utilities online to collect names of lawyers you might be interested in meeting with offline to discuss your legal issue in full detail so the legal advice can be tailored to the specific facts of your legal issue.


The contract for Deed will contain the duties of the homeowner you bought it from. That person should now give you a Warranty Deed to the property which you will file in the Deed records of the county where the property is. There should be no liens against the property, but it is wise to contact a title company and have them check for you as once the title transfers by the warranty deed you will be totally responsible!

-Marion W. Cain Law Offices of Marion W. Cain, P.C. This posting is provided for “information purposes” only and should not be relied upon as "legal advice". Nothing transmitted from this posting constitutes the establishment of an attorney-client relationship.