Skip to main content

When you give up your parental rights do you still have to pay child support?

Hialeah, FL |

My husband is having problems with his daughter mother over a diaper rash that she got while she was with us, and the other issue is that shes not spending the child support money on his daughter, because she calling and asking for him to buy diapers and wipes shes 2 years old she should be out of diapers . He just don't want to deal with her anymore.

He wants the court to order her to show how she is spending the money.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


You Husband cannot voluntarily give up his parental rights unless there is another individual, usually a stepparent, wishing to adopt the child. If that is the case then yes your Husband would not have a child support obligation for the child from the effective date of his parental rights termination and adoption of the child.


Daniel Bachert, Esq.
The Bachert Law Firm, P.A.
330 Clematis Street, Suite 222
West Palm Beach, Florida 33401
(561) 653-3951

Please be aware and advised that this public forum is designed to provide only general information, to give you a basis of legal knowledge. This public forum does not give you attorney-client privilege. You and I have not entered into an attorney-client relationship. I am not responsible for your legal rights and this answer is based solely on the information you have provided in your question and as always, I would advise that you arrange for an in person consultation with an attorney from my firm or another Family Law attorney familiar with Florida Family Law who can analyze the specific facts and circumstances of your case more closely to better advise you.


If someone could just give up his parental rights to a child, then no one would have to pay support for children. The fact is that there could be a step parent adoption, and that is usually the only way someone can get out of paying future child support. The father cannot just sign away his rights and responsibilities, someone else must be there to step in and take his position.

R. Jason de Groot, Esq., 386-337-8239


He has not given up his parental rights and will not be able to do so unless a stepparent is there to adopt the child.

You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation since every case is different and not all information is relayed in an online question. The Law Office of Ophelia Bernal-Mora, P.A. is a family law firm located in Orlando, Florida, we invite you to contact us and welcome your calls at 407-354-5223. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.


No...but it's not easy to do...or everyone would do it!

Please be advised that any answers or information disseminated above do not constitute legal advice and that the attorney responsible for this posting is merely attempting to participate in a Q & A session intended to be helpful but certainly not intended to be legal advice. It is important that you understand that no attorney-client relationship has been formed and that the attorney has no obligation to follow up with you with your legal issue unless you separately contact said attorney and arrange for him to legally represent you.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer