Skip to main content

When will my chapter 13 be discharged?

Eaton, OH |

I have received my Certificate of final payment for my Chapter 13, I have attended the debt classes, and the final papers for domestic situations have been filed at the court. When will
my case be discharged?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


In addition to attending the financial management class, you also have to file the completion certificate. Local practices vary and you should contact your attorney. You may need to move for an order discharging your remaining debt or take other procedural steps to get a discharge. Don't let your case close without a discharge. Contact your attorney today.

My answer is for only informational purposes and is not legal advice. I am licensed to practice law in Oregon and I recommend contacting a local attorney for the best help with your legal questions.


I agree with the other attorney. Typically you file some form of certification of compliance and request for entry of discharge. The form will vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. Hopefully an Ohio attorney can chime in here.

Best Wishes,

Steve Doan, Esq

This information is provide for informational purposes only as a service to the public, and is not legal advice or a substitute for legal counsel, nor does it constitute advertising or a solicitation. Your receipt or transmission of information hereof alone does not create an attorney-client relationship or ensure confidentiality.


I don't believe it is a set time depending on how busy the Court is. It shouldn't take more than a couple weeks if you are all done. The law tends to move much slower than people would like.

You should contact your bankruptcy attorney for a jurisdiction specific response.

Good Luck, be patient.

Legal disclaimer: I am not your attorney and we have no attorney/client relationship. This response is submitted for informational purposes only. This is not legal advice, nor is it intended to be taken as such. Anyone considering the above referenced situation should always consult an attorney within your jurisdiction before taking any action based on this, or any other information.


Each Trustee has a different procedure. Be patient, your Discharge is on the way.

I hope this helps.
Steven A. Leahy

Please note that the above is not intended as legal advice, it is for educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is created or is intended to be created hereby. You should contact a local attorney to discuss and to obtain legal advice.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer