Skip to main content

When to file for US citizenship?

Los Angeles, CA |

My parents overstayed their visas for more than 5 years. I was able to petition them last year and got their green cards. I was told before that since they were once illegal, they can apply for citizenship after 10 years and not 5 years. Is this true?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


Not true. All lawful permanent residents may apply to naturalize five years after they are granted status. All LPRs must meet the physical presence requirement, the continuous residence requirement and the good moral character requirements.


If your parents were granted permanent residence then they would be eligible to apply for citizenship after 5 years.

The information offered is general in nature and not meant to be relied upon as legal advice. Please consult an attorney prior to making legal decisions. Visit us at Contact us at 713.335.5505 or email at Veronica Tunitsky offers in-person, as well as telephone and email consultations.


They can apply for naturalization 90 days before the 5th anniversary of becoming residents.


I agree with my colleagues. They will be eligible to become US Citizens on the 5-year anniversary of the date they became permanent residents. They may submit their citizenship applications as early as 3 months before their 5-year anniversary.

(734) 369-3131. This communication does not establish and attorney-client relationship with the Law Office of Michael Carlin PLLC or any individual member of the office. Confidential information should not be sent through this form.


They can apply after 5 years