Skip to main content

When to apply for USA visitor visa (B1/B2) extension?

San Jose, CA |

My mother has been living with me in USA on B1/B2 visitor visa. I want to apply for her visa extension so she can stay with me for 6 months more after her current stay period of 6 months ends ( in mid January 2014). When should I apply for her visa extension? Is it too early to apply for it now? How long does it take to process the extension request. She has the available funds for the extended stay. She is going through chiropractic treatment since one month which will complete in December this year. I have not been able to take her to visit places because of her treatment. Will this be a valid reason for applying for visa extension? Please advise. Thanks.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Before the current I-94 expires.

The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter,not should it be viewed as establishing an attorney client relationship of any kind.


Make sure you apply before her current status expires. Generally, you are supposed to apply as soon as you know you will need an extension. Submit all supporting documents required. Good luck!

This answer is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice.


Apply before I-94 terms and present compelling documentation of her intended stay in the U.S.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional opinion, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and opinions stated above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual or legal circumstances related to one's current legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a comprehensive legal before making an educated decision about your particular legal issue. Respectfully, Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko, Chicago, Illinois 773-562-8602


It might, the reason needs to be compelling. Not sure if her getting chiropractic treatments is compelling, they could say go to your home country to get those unless her chiropractor says she can't travel. You might want to wait until you are closer to the January date since she is in lawful status while the extension request is pending. If her extension is denied post January 2014, however, she will be expected to leave the country immediately.

Maria J. Marty Attorney at Law | | Office: 206.494.9999 McAuliff Law Firm | 14205 SE 36th St., Suite 100 | Bellevue, WA 98006 Skype ID: mjmarty-mcauliff This is general information and not legal advice. For a more complete assessment of your situation, please contact our office. Our practice is limited to U.S. Immigration Law. Our attorneys have over 20 years of experience representing international companies, investors, professionals and families with US immigration matters.