Skip to main content

When to apply for social security number in Houson if arrived on k/1 visa?

Houston, TX |

I have arrived in Houston on september 27, and we are planning to get married in two weeks. When should I apply for a SSN so I can have mz drivers license, health insurance etc.?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


As soon as you are eligible. After you marry and file the 485 and 765 and you receive either your residence or work permit you will be able to get a SS number issued. With your SS number and either EAD or GC you will then be able to get a DL issued by the Texas DMV.

The answer provided is general in nature and should not be construed as legal advice as not all facts are know by the attorney, nor does the answering of this question create an attorney client relationship.



thank you, some people told me to apply right after I arrive.

Pablo Husayn Nossa

Pablo Husayn Nossa


SS office won't issue with just the K visa.


After having gotten married and filed for I-485 adjustment of status and having obtained your employment authorization card, you'll be able to apply for an SSN and a state ID.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


1. get married.
2. Hire a lawyer.
2. He will prepare and file I-130, I-485, I-765 and other forms.
3. In a month or two you will get EAD
4. With that EAD go to any SS office and apply for a SS number.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer