Skip to main content

When My Father Retired From Tva, He Neglected To Put My Mother On As Beneficiary To His Retirement.

Knoxville, TN |

Does she have any legal recourse at this point to receive his retirement in the event of his death ?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Your father should contact the human resources department of his former employer and see if it's possible for him to designate her as his beneficiary now.

Avvo doesn't pay us for these responses, and I'm not your lawyer just because I answer this question or respond to any follow-up comments. If you want to hire me, please contact me. Otherwise, please don't expect a further response. We need an actual written agreement to form an attorney-client relationship. I'm only licensed in CA and you shouldn't rely on this answer, since each state has different laws, each situation is fact specific, and it's impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue.


Ms. Koslyn gave you good advice. Also ask whether your father's plan automatically designates your mother for survivor benefits.

These comments do not constitute legal advice. They are general comments on the circumstances presented, and may not be applicable to your situation. For legal advice on which you may rely consult your own lawyer.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer