When may an attorney withdraw from representation?

Granada Hills, CA |

i went to court this week and my attorney showed up late. he took me into the hall and insulted me, accused me of being a drug addict, spending my money frivolously and this is why i am being evicted. he shouted very loud embgarrassing and humiliating me in fron of many people as they were entering the courtroom, then demanded i pay him more money in addition to what we had already agreed upon, then refused to return any or all of my documents to me reducing me to terars and leaving me to fend for myself.

Much of what you discuss is not unlawful, but just very bad form. However there are some issues you raise that suggest the possibility of a breach of the Rules of Professional Conduct. An attorney cannot disengage from a representation at a time that would cause undue prejudice to the client. Furthermore, upon disengagement, the attorney is required to return to the client all of the client's file if requested by the attorney, whether or not money is owed to the attorney.

You have the right to report this attorney to the California State Bar. Please check out the following web page in that regard: http://www.calbar.ca.gov/Attorneys/LawyerRegulation.aspx

Good luck to you.

This answer should not be construed to create any attorney-client relationship. Such a relationship can be formed only through the mutual execution of an attorney-client agreement. The answer given is based on the extremely limited facts provided and the proper course of action might change significantly with the introduction of other facts. All who read this answer should not rely on the answer to govern their conduct. Please seek the advice of competent counsel after disclosing all facts to that attorney. This answer is intended for California residents only. The answering party is only licensed to practice in the State of California.

An attorney can withdraw from representation at any time under certain circumstances. Such as, break down in the attorney client relationship, failure to cooperate, not paying fees, and the client's engaging in conduct that might be illegal, unethical or adverse to the case. There are other reasons for withdrawing as well.
An attorney should never withdraw, and often will not be allowed to withdraw, when there is an important hearing or deadline approaching or if doing so will harm the client.