Skip to main content

When marrying a non-citizen, does Homeland Security Dig into the life of the spouse. (citizen)-- Most importantly - Tax issues?

Fargo, ND |

Married in 2006. Finally working on paperwork. I have skipped a few years of taxes. ( Don't owe anything..... Just haven't filed)

Will I run into any possible issues while going through this process with my wife?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Yes. The USCIS will require your most recent tax return as part of the affidavit of support. In general, you will have to prove that you earn or receive appropriate funds to support your wife. This must be verifiable income at 125% of an annual income determined by the Department of Health and Human Services.

You may need to file a current income tax return. If you do not earn enough, you cannot sponsor your spouse without a joint sponsor. The processing fees are expensive. Those who have made mistakes or given up may have to pay the USCIS filing fees, again. USCIS filing fees may start at $1365, where she can file in the U.S. For more information, schedule an appointment with an experienced immigration attorney.

The above is general information and does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Ayoade Adewopo

Ayoade Adewopo


Excellent response my learned colleague.