Skip to main content

When it start counting my 3 years for residency ?

Las Cruces, NM |

I am a permanent residence holder bas on marriage an us citizen , i went out of us for more than 6 month but less than 1 year , i am back and lived in us for 2 years .

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


When you became a resident.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


You count your residency from the day you were granted permanent residence status, even if it was conditional. As to the physical presence for citizenship, you count it from the same time as well, provided you can prove it was not broken, and you can satisfy other requirements.

Att. number 917-885-2261 This advice does not create an attorney client relationship. No specific legal advice may be offered by the lawyer until a conflicts check is undertaken. Information sent through a web form or via email may not be treated as confidential. Please accept my apologies for spelling mistakes. Law Office of Alena Shautsova , New York Immigration Attorney Blog:


You count from the day you became a permanent resident, which is listed on your green card. As for your citizenship application, you will need to take some extra steps in your application because of your trip that lasted more than 6 months.

(734) 369-3131. This communication does not establish and attorney-client relationship with the Law Office of Michael Carlin PLLC or any individual member of the office. Confidential information should not be sent through this form.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer