Skip to main content

When is the right time to get married when my GC filing process is underway?

Omaha, NE |

I am an Indian citizen and if I happen to marry an Indian citizen while my GC process is underway, at which stage can I conveniently get my wife without any issues as a dependant. I believe it should be I140 but wanted to confirm the same. And if she comes on a dependent visa, can I find an employer who can file for her H1?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Yes, before the I-140 is best. But, it can also happen at the I-485 stage.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.


Whenever you can, the sooner the better. Ideally during or upon filing the I-140, but certainly before the approval of your I-485.'

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


Add her anytime before the 485 is approved. Once the 485 is approved, you have a green card and will need to sponsor her separately- which can take many many years for Indian nationals. Yes, she can get her own H1 and still be your dependent for gc purposes.

Business Immigration Attorney. For H, L, J, EB5s, PERM and EB1/2/3 Petitions. Call 800-688-7892 or visit Law Office of Anu Gupta. The advice suggested here is for general information only and not to be construed as legal advice.