Skip to main content

When is it possible to have the Executor pay you legal fees if you have to challange his executor duties

Fairfax, VA |

I will have to hire an attorney because the Executor did not list all items in inventory and he is not looking out for the best interest of the Estate. Can I get the Executor or Estate to pay my legal fees. What are the ways, or can you have you legals fees paid If the will is in probate and you feel its no being handled correctly?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


This would only happen if the court ordered it, and that is very rare. It strikes me as possible that the items were not listed because they passed outside of probate. You need to have an attorney review this before you can determine if you even have a case. Your feelings about how the estate may be completely inaccurate. A lawyer can help you assess that.

James Frederick

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ***************************************** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and Ingham Counties. My practice is focused in the areas of estate planning and probate administration. I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. If I refer to your state's laws, you should not rely on what I say; I just did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant that I hoped you would find helpful. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state. I hope you our answer helpful!


If you have a valid and just reason for your challenge-the court can order the estate to your legal fees.

The answer given does not imply that an attorney-client relationship has been established and your best course of action is to have legal representation in this matter.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer