Skip to main content

When I was 13 I had sex with a man over 18. I was pressured into telling the police it was forceful rape when it was not..

Round Rock, TX |

I understand that it is still considered statutory rape. I am now 26 and he has reached out to me telling me that he is facing prision, fines, ect because the laws changed in 2006 and he was suppose to register as a sex offender and did not. He asked if I would write a letter of recommendation of some sort accounting what happened that night and that what I think of him. I don't know what to do. I have a family and children now and thought this was all over with.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


He still committed sexual assault of a child (you) even if you agreed to have sex with him because he was TOO OLD and you were TOO YOUNG under the law to consent. I do not see how you can really help him. He would have been convicted of the sexual offense regardless of which way it went - forcible rape or sex with someone so young. (It is not right alleging forcible rape - that probably resulted in a higher sentence - but it does not affect his registration requirement.)

If he has a lawyer, I would talk with the lawyer because that is the morally correct thing to do. But. I would not just do what he requests but I do not see how that can help him. He was under a legal obligation to register regardless of the way the sex occurred.

Although I have answered the question to try to help you, you should consult with a lawyer in your area in person on the matter. In addition, my answer does not establish an attorney-client relationship between us.