Skip to main content

When I was 12 a 16 year old family member molested me. I was living in Mississippi and am now currently 16. I need lots of info.

Jackson, MS |

May or may not have been consensual. May or may not go for it. Very unsure I just want to know what the law is on it and what I can or cannot do, etc. any and all info is welcome.

+ Read More

Filed under: Criminal defense
Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

It wouldn't matter if you tried to consent to the act or not. At 12, you are unable to give consent to sexual intercourse (despite what you may have thought at the time) and the actor committed statutory rape. This is something that can, if prosecuted, lead to up to 30 years in jail. The problem you have, though, is the duration of time from the act itself to now. There would be a definite lack of evidence and it would be reduced to your word versus the actor's. I'm also not sure what you mean by "may or may not go for it". Go for what? You seriously need to sit down and think about what it is exactly you are seeking because any legal action you take, from this point, will hinge on you and your testimony. It will also depend heavily on your decision to proceed. Any hesitation in you a good criminal defense attorney will discover and shred you on the stand. This type of claim is very serious, as it can lead to the person having to register as a sex offender for the rest of their life, so do not tread lightly.

This answer is provided as a general opinion to a question posted on an internet forum. This does not create in either party the expectation that an attorney-client relationship has been entered into between the original poster and the Law Office of Reid Seino, LLC. Any information provided should not be solely taken as legal advice but in the context of general information. Please seek legal representation for any specific legal questions.


A 12 year old CANNOT give consent in Mississippi. Please contact a parent or counselor

The law office of Anders Ferrington 601-316-8428 practices state wide. In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but instead need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice.


You describe a crime that you were the victim of. I feel you dont want to go to your family. if you can, thats best. If not, you can report that to the police, to a nurse or doctor, or to a teacher or counselor.

This creates NO attorney-client relationship and all answers are for general information. All persons are encouraged to consult with a licensed attorney of their choosing for advice specific to their need(s).

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer