Skip to main content

When I paid my attorney a retainer no contract was ever signed...

Fort Worth, TX |

He then subsequently blew through the funds in a few days via double billing, wasteful spending, etc., now he is saying I owe him additional funds. Funny thing is a contract was never signed between the two of us, can I sue him for my funds back? He literally didn't do a single thing and I just came to find out that in an order he received (I was never given the copy) I have not been complying to certain stipulations unknowingly. Throughout this whole process, he has supposedly "done research" and "conferred with colleagues" and then written lengthy emails saying how stupid I am to ask for certain things or the fact I have asked to finalize the divorce. Terrible lawyer with sleazy tactics, so is there any way to collect my previous funds and fight the claims I owe him more?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


I doubt any attorney here can answer that question, I assume you hired him for a divorce. If you are unhappy and you fell you were not represented correctly; every state has some sort of Attorney Regulation Commission that governs attorneys. I am sure if you contact that office they will assist you with your complaint.


Many states have a fee dispute resolution through the state bar. In NC it is mandatory for attorneys to go through this before they can sue the attorney and optional for clients to request. You should 1st send a certified letter asking for an itemized bill and complete copy of your file. Give him a set amount of time and if you do not get these things complain to the State Bar.

The information provided in this response is offered as a public service. It does not create an attorney/client relationship. The answer reflects the authors opinion, based on his experience, without having conducted research on your specific issue. Please be advised that laws and court practice vary by state, jurisdictions, and court personnel. Answers given here are generalities and may not apply to your specific case. No warranties of opinion are expressed or implied. If your legal issue is in Charlotte, NC, I offer free telephone consultations.