Skip to main content

When I marry my fiancé will my income be included in his child support order if it is modified?

Chicago, IL |

Just wondering if we become married will my state combine the incomes and subtract 20 percent .

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4

Best Answer

No. The court will only look at your soon to be husband's income. However, if your income is substantial, you may wish to file a separate return from your husband(notwithstanding both of you will pay income taxes at a higher rate) to protect your privacy from the child support recipient. Arguably, even though the court may not combine your incomes together to calculate child support, to the extent that your income helps support your new family household, it would theoretically enable him to pay greater child support, especially for add on expenses, such as day care or extra-curricular fees.


No. For purposes of child support, In Illinois only his income will be used to determine the statutory amount.

Communication with an attorney does not by itself create an attorney/client relationship or constitute provision or receipt of legal advice. Any communication with an attorney should be considered informational use only, and should not be relied upon or acted upon until a formal attorney/client relationship is established via a written agreement.


No. Your income will not be included in your fiance's child support obligation. However depending on your income such other matters like contribution to uncovered medical costs, extra curricular activities and day care may be affected, but generally it is not an issue.

Any answers or information provided is for general information purposes only and is not intended to be a legal opinion, legal advice or a complete discussion of the legal issues. This is not intended to create a attorney-client relationship. Each individual's situation is different and you should seek independent legal advice from an attorney familiar with the laws of your state for specific information.


No but it could be included for college expenses.

IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "Helpful" or " The Best Answer" YOU CAN THANK ATTORNEY RADDATZ BY MARKING IT SO because Avvo awards the attorney points. MS. RADDATZ is donating her time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal information. This is NOT a consultation and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS PERSONALLY CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY IN YOUR LOCAL AREA who has specific expertise in the area of law you are asking about. Remember that it is the Lawyer who:  Punishes the wicked, Protects the innocent, Raises up the lowly, Opposes brutality and injustice, Seeks equality of humanity regardless of color, cast, sex or religion, Leads in every cause, and Seeks the best in everything.