Skip to main content

When I buy a property with a quit claim deed, do I get the full ownership of the property?

Las Vegas, NV |

If not, who is the owner of the property and what rights do I have?

The property is located in a state different from where I'm at. If quit claim deeds have no warranties, what is the purpose of this legal document and why is it legal at all? Why are people buying properties knowing all they're getting is a quit claim deed?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

I am not a NV attorney, laws vary from state to state, therefore you should always consult a local attorney.

It depends on what you mean by "full ownership". A quitclaim deed conveys the grantor's interest to you - but that interest is subject to all liens, judgments or other encumbrances.

Rather than quitclaim deed, you should request a warranty deed - such as a bargain and sale deed. You should also conduct a title search with judgment and tax searches to see what you are getting and get an affidavit of title from the grantor.

If this answer was helpful, please mark it as helpful or as a best answer. This answer is for general education purposes only. It neither creates an attorney-client relationship nor provides legal guidance or advice. The answer is based on the limited information provided and the answer might be different had additional information been provided. You should consult an attorney.


You get whatever the grantor owned.

I could issue you a quitclaim to the Brooklyn Bridge without wrongdoing--it would transfer the nothing that I own.

Quitclaims are subject to mortgages, other (mostly recorded) liens, and other pitfalls.

You should have a lawyer actually review what you're doing here.


Mr. Hawkins is right. A quit claim deed transfers whatever rights the previous owner had in the property without any warranties. If he had nothing you got nothing, if he owned everything you got everything, including any and all liens. Be very careful when obtaining ownership in real property via a quit claim deed. You should consult an attorney who can research the county records for the property and advise you properly.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer