Skip to main content

When having shared legal custody do social security number and medical card have to be shared?

Philadelphia, PA |

My ex and I have a 3yo daughter. Before we split up I never worried about saving her social security number information in a safe spot. We are now seperated and have a custody order giving me partial physical and shared legal custody. She refuses to provide me with a copy of daughter's social security card and medical card. I feel I should have the medical card of course in case of an emergency where she needs to go to the doctors or ER. And I feel I should have her social because I should have it for my personal records as she is my daughter. Is she violating the custody order by not providing me with this information since we have shared legal custody?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Her withholding the social security number and cards in itself is not a violation of the custody order unless the order actually states to share documents such as the social security card. If she continues not to, you could possibly seek a petition for contempt of the custody order with the Judge who signed your custody agreement, stating that the legal custody being shared is not being complied with since you can't make medical or legal decisions on behalf of your daughter becuase the other parent refuses to share necessary information.

It would be best to hire an attorney and seek their advice on the issue. Best of luck!

My comments are provided for general information purposes only. Nothing on this or associated pages, documents, comments, answers, emails, or other communications through Avvo should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. The information on this website is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. Lawyers are licensed to practice on a state by state basis; do not act on information contained on this website without first speaking to an attorney licensed to practice in your state