When filing 864 affidavit support,does my joint sponsor and i both have to submit the last 3 years federal tax information?

Hammond, IN |

i got married in China,my wife and i are still here,i dont meet the support requirements but have a joint sponsor who does,i filed i-130 already and need to gather up the support information now

No. normally it is only the last year's tax return that needs to be submitted.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

Thank you

Mr. Behar is correct, you BOTH have to file a copy of last year's returns.

But, I always do the past 3 ... to show a stable employment history.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

My colleagues have answered your question correctly and completely. I recently published a legal guide on Avvo on the responsibilities of joint sponsors that you may want to read, if you like. Here is the link:

http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/what-are-my-responsibilities-if-i-become-a-joint-sponsor

Lena Korial-Yonan, Esq.
http://www.needimmigrationhelp.com

Thank you so much and i have one more question,i did not file 2012 because i didnt work in 2012,just got unemployment but not enough for me to have to file,should i get 2009-2011 tax papers?..my joint sponsor has owned his own business for many years and has his last 3 years papers.

Lena Korial-Yonan

Lena Korial-Yonan

You can attach the previous years taxes AND try to get a letter from IRS that says that there is no record of you filing anything with them for that particular tax year.

It is not necessary. If USCIS needs more information you would hear from them.
Lalita Haran
Attorney: Immigration Law
13295 Illinois St Ste 128
Carmel IN 46032
Ph: (317) 660-6174
www.haranlaw.com

Contact (317) 660-6174 for specific legal advice. Answers here are not legal advice because they are of general nature and not tailored to your specific situation. You should not act on this answer without checking with an Immigration Attorney.