When does my child support obligation end?

Northville, MI |

My daughter, who resides in Texas, is 18 years old, but will turn 19 in May. She is scheduled to graduate from high school in June. If she does not when will it be terminated?

Filed under: Divorce Child support

It depends on what your child support order/judgment of divorce says and what state it was issued in.

In Michigan, generally, it would end when she graduates from high school as she is already 18, but not 19 1/2.

But, you need to check the language of your order/judgment. Also, if it was entered in Texas, you need to re-post this question with your location being in Texas. Michigan attorneys cannot address questions specific to the law in other states, unless they are licensed to practice in those states.

John J. Keenan

This response applies to Michigan law only. This initial response to your question(s) is for general purposes, only, and is based upon the limited information you have provided. Therefore, this general answer should not be relied upon as a reason for your action or inaction. This response does not establish an attorney-client relationship; such a relationship may only be established by the signing of a written retainer agreement, and the payment of the agreed upon retainer. Please call me, or another attorney of your choice, with more details, and for an appointment to discuss same. Thank you for this opportunity to address your question(s).

If she does not graduate then your child support will end when she is 19 and 1/2 years old so long as she remains in school.

Sincerely,
Longton Law Offices