Skip to main content

When does child support end in the state of connecticut?

Bridgeport, CT |

I have always been under the impression that child support continues past the age of 18 if the child is in college. My child will turn 20 in May, graduated high school at 18, has been in college as a full time student since then and still lives at home with me, her mother. I'm now confused and worried. Confused because I was told by a friend that support ends at 18 irregardless of the fact that she is in college and worried because does that mean I'm legally responsible for paying back what's been paid since she turned 18? I live in Connecticut with our child and her dad lives in New the law different in N.J.? is that a factor? if it should have ended at 18 was I to inform the child support bureau she turned 18? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Generally speaking, the child support obligation in Connecticut lasts until the child is 18 and has graduated from high school or, if the child has not graduated, until age 19.

The court may order post secondary school educational support under certain circumstances.

It is possible that your former spouse is willing to continue payments for your daughter's benefit.

I wrote this to help you and others who may face issues like yours in the future. I hope you find my response to be helpful and informative. If you do, please click the thumbs up icon. If this is your question and you find my answer to be the most helpful, please click best answer. I appreciate feedback.

My answer is not legal advice and does not establish a client/attorney relationship. The question may not be a complete or accurate description of the problem and there is no chance to ask a follow up question. It is impossible to give complete advice without a thorough discussion of the facts, such we would have during an initial consultation. Further, laws are different from jurisdiction to jurisdiction and frequently change. So, please, do not act on any information provided without consulting with a lawyer licensed to practice in your jurisdiction who has experience with the kind of issues that concern you.

Child support topics

Recommended articles about Child support

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer