Skip to main content

When does a PR have to provide accounting to heirs of the estate? The court was satisfied with a preliminary, broad accounting.

Orlando, FL |

I am the PR. Some of the heirs continuously demand a full accounting of how money was spent. Do I have to provide this whenever asked? I provided it once, but they didn't understand and made accusations of theft and credit abuse. I couldn't convince them of the facts. I don't want to re-start that argument until a judge can rule on what is proper accounting-wise. They will have the chance to object to estate costs before checks are cut and probate is closed. I believe that is the time to solve any lingering questions. But they refuse to cooperate AT ALL unless they are satisfied with the numbers NOW.

ALSO, I took care of my mother's estate finances before her death. As PR, do I have any obligation to share the details of her finances during that time? They won't believe me anyway.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Since you are the PR you already have an attorney I am not going to try to second-guess or improve on the advice she has given you. You can't please all the people all the time.

The contents of this answer should be considered friendly advice, not legal advice and the answer should not be construed to constitute an attorney-client relationship. If you'd like actual legal advice, call me at 954-567-4100. Also, if you liked this answer did, be sure to click the thumbs-up button



My attorney gave me her advice. But the family won't believe her. I need your opinion so my family can see it from another source.


Review both estates with your current attorney.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or


I agree-it is improper to advise y ou in this forum if you are already represented by another attorney.

The answer given does not imply that an attorney-client relationship has been established and your best course of action is to have legal representation in this matter.