Skip to main content

When does a father have to start paying child support?

Brooklyn, NY |

I am 9 months pregnant and the father of the baby has not offered me any money for child support, I am due in 11 days. he also has not gone to one dr appointment with me.
what are my rights? my baby is on my insurance and will be living with me.
can you help?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Yes, take the biological father to court immediately to get a court order in place so his child support obligation commences. You have your mind on child birth, so, right now hire a lawyer to get this process moving.

You might find my Legal Guide helpful "How to Choose a Lawyer for you.”

You might find my Legal Guide helpful "What Do I Tell My Lawyer"?

No one can know what the record is in the case because online we cannot find out any details. Check with a lawyer in your locale to discuss more of the details.

Good luck to you.

God bless. Best of luck to you.

If you found this answer helpful, let me know by clicking the Thumbs-Up tab at the bottom. You may mark this as a Best Answer for the time I spent crafting this and thinking about your matter.


Child support does not begin until the baby is born. You should file a support petition immediately thereafter.