Skip to main content

When do i file AR-11 change of address form to USCIS, is it before or after I move? I have my Green card application pending.

Washington, DC |

I move at the end of august. I have I 485 and I 131 pending. Thanks

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


You need to file the Ar-11 within 10 days of moving to your new residence.

Alexus P. Sham (917) 498-9009. The above information is only general in nature and does not constitute legal advice. It does not create an attorney-client relationship.


You need to decide when. The law states within 10 days of having moved. It is not enforced, there are no penalties. Will also to notify USCIS of the new address during the I-485 interview.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


My colleagues are correct with the 10 day rule.

BUT ... THAT'S NOT ENOUGH ... you also need to call the 800 number listed on the fee-receipts.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- -- -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.


You can file it online, by phone, or mail, within 10 days of your move, i.e. if you move today, you can file it within next 10 days.

But since you have pending applications, you need to ensure that you receive the notices, your EAD/TA and your green card. USCIS is horrible in properly registering your new address and applying the change to all your currently pending cases. I always recommend to my clients to maintain a contact with someone at the previous address, who can receive stuff for you, in case USCIS sends it there despite AR-11, which happens quite often.

Ismail T. Shahtakhtinski, Esq.
I.S. Law Firm, PLLC
1199 N Fairfax Street, Suite 702
Alexandria, VA 22314
(703) 527-1779

The information provided in this answer is designed to provide useful information and background materials about I.S. LAW FIRM, PLLC. The information provided is not intended to and does not constitute legal advice, and does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and I.S. LAW FIRM, PLLC. Any communication, including electronic mail, through this website may not be confidential or privileged. For legal advice, you should consult with an attorney familiar with your circumstances and seek the advice of counsel in the appropriate jurisdiction. The hiring of an attorney is an important decision and should not be based upon written descriptions of I.S. LAW FIRM, PLLC’s experience. Every case is different and similar results may not be obtained in your case. I.S. LAW FIRM, PLLC does not endorse or sponsor any links from this website to other websites and has not reviewed and does not accept responsibility for their contents.


You should notify them within 10 days of the change of address.If you have the new address, it's a good idea to do it within 10 days of moving in August. Good luck to you!

The above response is not intended to be specific legal advice or representation and should not be relied upon as such. While the above focuses on general legal precepts, laws vary among jurisdictions so the opinion is not state or jurisdiction specific. No attorney-client relationship is formed by or exists because of this posting. You should not make any decisions with regards to your individual legal matter without first directly consulting with an attorney to discuss the specific details of your case.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer