Skip to main content

When could I apply for citizenship ? I am a asylum green card holder.

Eugene, OR |

My husband got his green card in 1987 by applying asylum. Then his green card got canceled for living outside of U.S.. In 2010, November, he got his green card back. So could he apply for citizenship? I have heard someone said that you could apply it 3 years later if you got you green card by asylum. Please help me :)

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


If you obtained your green card thru derivative asylee status, and otherwise meet the statutory requirements for citizenship, then yes, you could apply for citizenship. Talk to a lawyer in your area.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


Hi generally 4 years after receiving the green card because the 1 year as an asylee counts towards the 5 years you need to wait before applying for citizenship if you're not married to a US citizen.

My answering this question does not form an attorney-client relationship. Always retain a qualified attorney before taking any action.


5 years from the date your card shows you became a legal permanent resident.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


I agree with my colleagues. I have assisted N-400 applicants with the naturalization process. If you have any questions feel free to contact me at I am an attorney located in Portland, Oregon. Good luck to you and your husband!

The Law Office of Elliot M.S. Yi, 2075 SW First Avenue, Ste 2J, Portland, Oregon, 97201;; 503-951-8209. This answer is intended for general informational purposes only and does not create an attorney-client relationship. The statement above does not constitute legal advice, as all the facts are not known.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer