Skip to main content

When can I apply for the Citizenship?

Garden Grove, CA |

I got the 10 years Green card last year from marriage, and I've been living in the US from 2008.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


You can apply after you have been a Lawful Permanent Resident for 2 years and 9 months IF you got your Green Card through marriage to a US citizen and are still married and living with the same citizen spouse. Otherwise, you apply at 4 years and 9 months.

Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104


You normally are eligible after five years of continuous presence in the U.S., after getting green card. The requirement drops to three years, under certain conditions, if you are married to U.S. citizen.


What's the date on your green card? From there, add 3 years; however you can apply 90 days before your 3 years as long as your swearing in ceremony takes place after the full 3 years.


Cannot be determined on the facts posted.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer