Skip to main content

When can a person falsely accused pursue a law suit?

Ames, IA |

Does a criminal case have to be over before a person files a law suit against all parties involved?

When can a person falsely accused of Domestic Abuse file a law suit? And yes overwhelming evidence supports the persons innocence.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5

Best Answer

In theory you can file a lawsuit any time. The better practice is to wait until the criminal matter is concluded. Even if the other person clearly made false allegations against you, you will need to be able to demonstrate how those allegations damaged you, and as a practical matter, there will need to be some way for you to collect on an anticipated judgment. This is a serious matter, and you will want to move very deliberately (if at all) with the input and guidance of an experienced personal injury lawyer.


question depends on the nature of the charge.

Most lawyers will give you a free consultation if you ask for one. We do this all the time, but remember that our time is valuable and you should stay with the people who help you the most.


After the case is over, speak to an attorney. Many facts are missing here.

The information provided is for general informational purposes only and is not intended to be legal advice. I am only licensed in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and I am not providing you with specific legal advice. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. Being general in nature, the information provided may not apply to any specific factual and/or legal set of circumstances and/or the jurisdiction where you reside. No attorney-client relationship is formed nor should any such relationship be implied. The information provided is of a general nature is not intended to substitute for the advice of an attorney, especially an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. Your question, although you may believe is simple, it is not simple. You require legal advice, please consult with a competent attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction.


Yes. There is no way to predict your outcome, so if you lose, you would not have a cause of action. Even if you win, it is a difficult case.


After the criminal case has been resolved, a local lawyer can investigate

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer