Skip to main content

When am i eligible to apply for the citizenship?

Aurora, IL |

i got married in april 2011 sent all the paperwork in July green card was granted in august 2012 for two years which means that the expiration date is august 2014.i would like to know if i am eligible to apply for citizenship in 2014 because my marriage is going to be 3 years at that time.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


if still married to the USC through whom you obtained GC, you are entitled to apply for naturalization 2 years and 9 months from the issuance date found on your green card.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


Assuming your spouse is a US citizen, three years after your green card was granted.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


August 2012 is the beginning of your residence don't get credit for the government processing delays ...sorry.

You're eligible to apply for citizenship around May 2015.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship.


You can apply for us citizenship 2 years 9 months after the effective date on your permanent resident card (even conditional). Whether you should is a different question and will depend on what's happening with your removal of conditions application.

You should consult with an attorney closer to your eligibility date.

The information offered is general in nature and not meant to be relied upon as legal advice. Please consult an attorney prior to making legal decisions. Visit us at Contact us at 713.335.5505 or email at Veronica Tunitsky offers in-person, as well as telephone and email consultations.


No, in may 2015 or so when it is 2 years and 9 months from the day you became a permanent resident.

Dhenu Savla, Esq.
SwagatUSA, LLC

This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not meant to be relied upon as legal advice.