When a person creates a fake rental

Mount Vernon, NY |

If a person needs a mortgage , and creates a fake rental application to show the bank their old home is going to be rented ;but really is not; is that right?

It's called mortgage fraud and it is punishable by up to 30 years in federal prison, $1,000,000.00 fine or both.

This information is given as a courtesy and does not create an attorney-client relationship in any way. Any advice received must be verified. The specific facts of each matter make it impossible to offer specific advice that is accurate.

Dear creates a fake for a mortgage?

If you committed this crime do not advertise on AVVO. Your question suggests that you are in need of a successful criminal defense attorney.

The answer provided to you is in the nature of general information. The general proposition being that you should try to avoid a bad outcome if you can.

If the mortgage lender is a federally insured institution, it is federal crime to lie on a mortgage application. Even in a private mortgage situation, it would still be fraud and might subject the borrower to both criminal and civil liability.

If this answer was helpful, please mark it as helpful or as a best answer. This answer is for general education purposes only. It neither creates an attorney-client relationship nor provides legal guidance or advice. The answer is based on the limited information provided and the answer might be different had additional information been provided. You should consult an attorney.

It is a crime.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at Eric@RothsteinLawNY.com. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

It seems to me that both the person creating the fake lease and the person posting this question had a good feeling the act is illegal. As suggested it is best if you do not post questions regarding these matters in an open forum such as this.

The aforementioned opinion does not constitute legal advice and is for general informational purposes only. See an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction for competent legal advice. No attorney-client relationship has been formed through the within legal question and answer session.