Skip to main content


San Diego, CA |
Attorney answers 4


Need some more info. Dishonered check? Or Stale dated checks?
For Dishonored Check:
The payee has three years to bring a court action to recover the face amount of a dishonored check. He has the same three-year time frame to enforce a statutory service charge. If the payee sues to recover the statutory penalty, he must bring suit within one year.
(Under California Civil Code Section 1719, anyone writing a bad check is liable for the amount of the check plus a service charge.)
Stale dated checks
Those Are Checks that are not presented for payment within six months .Once a check becomes stale-dated, the bank has the legal authority to refuse to cash or deposit the check. Before a bank does cash a check after six months, the bank verifies that the account holder wants the check cashed.

Disclaimer:Attorney and Fraud Examiner.One of few that are Certified Fraud Examiners (CFE). The information contained in this website is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as a legal advice on any subject. No recipients of content from this site,clients or otherwise,should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any content included in the site without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from an attorney licensed in the recipient's state. The content of this website contains general information and may not reflect current legal developments, verdicts or settlements. The Karamanlis Powers Law Offices expressly disclaims all liability in respect to actions taken or not taken based on any or all of the contents of this website, weblogs, twitter, facebook, google+.


Sounds like you are asking how long would you be at risk of prosecution for a particular criminal act.
You need to post this where criminal defense attorneys can see it.


There are a variety of possible crimes that could be charged based on the limited information that you provided. But generally speaking, a misdemeanor offense must be filed within one year of the date of the offense. For felony offenses, it is three years from the date of the offense.


Your priors, although troublesome, will not have an affect on the statute of limitations unless those priors are used to elevate a misdemeanor offense (i.e. petty theft) to felony status. If a felony the general rule is 3 years from date of discovery.

Resist the urge to talk about what you have done to anyone other than a locally experienced criminal defense attorney.

Law Offices of David Shapiro 3555 4th Avenue San Diego, CA 92103 (619) 295-3555

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer