Skip to main content

What would it cost to domesticate a foreign order in Lake County, Florida?

Clermont, FL |

I'm looking for someone who can help with the domestication of the visitation portion of a Louisiana order to Florida. Minor child lives in Florida--This move did not change visitation schedule, so only a verbal agreement was utilized at the time, which was more than 3 years ago. Ex-husband lives in Vermont (and has never lived in either Louisiana or Florida). In my mind, this should be simple, since I already have certified copies of the Louisiana court documents; but I have been given quotes ranging from $1,500 to $5,000. I just don't have that kind of money. Please help.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


‘Domestication’ is a legal synonym for recording a foreign judgment, which is governed under Chapter 55, Florida Statutes.

Enforcement and Modification of foreign child custody orders is governed by Chapter 61, Florida Statutes, under Florida’s Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act (UCCJEA), and is similar to the process of registering foreign judgments under F.S. §88.6021.

Make sure your attorney understands the difference. With regard to your quoted fees, the range you cite are within reason.

If my response helped answer your question, please mark it as 'helpful.'


I agree, these fees are reasonable for the service provided. I would find a way to come up with it, and see if you can work payments. Also, don't always go for the lowest get what you pay for.