Skip to main content

What would be the typical remedy(ies) in an exclusive licensing deal in the case of a breach of the contract by the licenSOR?

Venice, FL |

The situation is an exclusive licensing agreement for a product owned by the licensor and to be licensed exclusively for sale by the licensee. The boilerplate agreement presented by the licensor has provisions for breach of the contract by the licensee and associated remedies for the benefit of the licensor, but there is no explanation of what qualifies as a breach by the licensor and as such, there is no remedy identified to be provided to the licensee in such an instance. I'm looking for some basic suggestions on what might be included as language that also offers some protection and remedy to the licensee. Thank you.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


A licensing agreement can be 15-20 pages long. There is no way to adequately cover the provisions in a space such as this. I would strongly suggest that you sit down with a contract lawyer and have the form(s) drawn up properly.

James Frederick

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ***************************************** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and Ingham Counties. My practice is focused in the areas of estate planning and probate administration. I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. If I refer to your state's laws, you should not rely on what I say; I just did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant that I hoped you would find helpful. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state. I hope you our answer helpful!