Skip to main content

What would be the best way to go about adopting my goddaughter?

Miami, FL |

I fear for her safety and peace of mind. I feel that her household environment is not a healthy one due to her parents disrespect and abuse towards each other. I would not want my goddaughter to go into the foster system, I would want her to go directly to me. What is the best way to go about this?

+ Read More

Filed under: Adoption Foster care
Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

You would need consent of the parents. There's a possibility she would be placed with you instead of going to foster care. If it's than unsafe and unhealthy, you should be reporting it. You could just ask them to give you custody.

Attorneys on Avvo donate their time and your feedback is appreciated. Be sure to mark the "Best Answer" or Helpful" to your questions.


First you will need to get the consent of the parents, then you will need to hire an attorney.

R. Jason de Groot, Esq.,



Would parental consent need to be through the aide of an agency or a professional in this are or could it just be a notarized document ?


Consent from her parents. You really need to retain counsel to assist you in this matter. Furthermore, if you suspect abuse in the household, you really need to call DCF.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer