Skip to main content

What would be my total punishment for shoplifting with a misdemeanor 1?

Austell, GA |

Two days ago, I was caught shoplifting at a Walmart in Austell, Georgia. The total cost of items was $44. This is my first ever. It is a misdemeanor 1. I am only 18 and would like to know my consequences of this action.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5

Best Answer

If you get an attorney there is a good chance the case could ultimately be dismissed and removed from your record. Don't go into court alone. Hire an attorney.


You may qualify for a diversionary program which could get your charge dismissed. Hire good local counsel.



So if I pay on time and stay out of trouble,this can be taken off my record and there will be no jail time?


Hiring an experienced lawyer is your best chance to get the case dismissed.


There are several options for your charge. Your fine would depend on where you were arrested (as in what court you will be going to). The best option would be either diversion, or working out a lesser charge with the solicitor/prosecutor to keep it from damaging your future.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. At this time, I am not accepting professional responsibility on this matter. No attorney/client relationship is created unless and until I receive a signed retainer agreement along with the requested retainer fee. If this matter is truly important to you, hire an attorney. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 678-510-1716 or if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). Without reviewing the appropriate paperwork It is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Note that I am only licensed in Georgia and thus cannot practice in other states. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. Circular 230 Disclosure: Pursuant to recently-enacted U.S. Treasury Department Regulations, we are now required to advise you that, unless otherwise expressly indicated, any federal tax advice contained in this communication, including attachments and enclosures, is not intended or written to be used, and may not be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any tax-related matters addressed herein.


In Cobb County State court, there is a program that will allow you to resolve these charges without a conviction. If this is in city court, there may also be a similar program there. However, you need an attorney to get you enrolled in the program. Therefore, you need to hire an attorney to resolve these charges for you.

Allen R. Knox
125 TownPark Drive, Suite 300
Kennesaw, GA 30144
(678) 334-1399