Skip to main content

What would be best in my case? File under the DREAM ACT or My husband?

Tulare, CA |

I'm 23 years old and have been in this county since I was 8. I have 2 children and married to a U.S citizen. I'm enrolled in school to finish my G.E.D.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


The Dream Act is not a law. You are probably referring to Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA). You could do either or both options. I suggest you consult with an immigration lawyer near you.

(734) 369-3131. This communication does not establish and attorney-client relationship with the Law Office of Michael Carlin PLLC or any individual member of the office. Confidential information should not be sent through this form.


You mean DACA (there is no such thing as the "DREAM" Act, was never passed.)

I would do BOTH. First DACA, which will enable you to officially "come out of the closet" so to speak, and obtain an employment authorization card, a state issued ID, DL and SSA card.

Then, for your husband's green card petition on your behalf, it's not that simple. I strongly recommend sitting down with an experienced immigration lawyer. The first part of the petition will have to be filed in the US, with a Stateside Waiver of your inadmissibility based on "extreme hardship" to your husband, as well as the immigrant visa petition in Cd. Juarez are best discussed with and explained by a professional .

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.



From the information available it looks like you could de either. Deferred action (the closest thing we have to the dream act) only gives you two years legal status and then you have to renew it after that. A petition through your husband for a green card (if you qualify) is permanent. The petition through your husband will cost more though.

LORIC, Immigration Solutions

Rodrigo Ivan Canido
Managing Attorney

3333 Bowers Ave, Suite 130
Santa Clara, CA 95054
Tel: 650-279-5933

The response given is general in nature and does not create an attorney / client relationship. The answer given may also not account for other facts unknown to the attorney. For a more detailed evaluation you should consult with a licensed immigration attorney.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer