What would animal control and county health do to a complaint on a motorhome with 3 people living in it and 17 cats and 2 dogs

Oroville, CA |

the trailer is delapidated and nasty inside. the cats are injured and sick and its smells nasty. they are in a trailer park. ive called to complain and animal control and county health went out there. i dont know what happened. what would the authorities do in that case to the motorhome

What they would do to the motorhome is irrelevant as an animal law question.

IF the conditions were as bad as you describe - a classic hoarding scenario - the animals would likely be taken. The health agent might also declare the motorhome might also be declared condemned as unfit for human habitation.

The foregoing is for general information purposes and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.

Carol Eileen Ryder

Carol Eileen Ryder

I agree with that but, as another colleague stated, you often need to also go to other agencies responsible for, for lack of a better term, general living conditions in the area, such as Code Enforcement. On Long Island (NY), we often can't get animal laws enforced unless we call 5, 10X and esp, if cameras are around. This is because an overworked, underfunded and understaffed non-profit does the enforcement, not the "real police" (who, BTYW, earn $150K+ a year with salary and benefits, plus O/T. They deserve it, in my mind, but we need to include animal law enforcement, not just for the animals but for the general dangerousness of most of these cases. e.g. major fighting ring in Suffolk, of course, also deals drugs, kids come to the fights, live in the filthy, dangerous homes with the bait animals and the fighting dogs, etc.

Report to Animal Control, as well as the City code enforcement office. Animal control is usually the County but the City usually have codes against this as well. The Animal Control Officer and City Code Enforcement can tell you what action they are likely to take.

We do not have an attorney-client relationship. I am not your lawyer. The statements I have made do not constitute legal advice. Any statements I have made are based upon the very limited facts you have presented, and under the premise that you will consult with a local attorney. This is not an attempt to solicit business. This disclaimer is in addition to any disclaimers that this website has made. I am only licensed in California.

You will want to continue to contact both animal control and the police. You can also contact either the city or county regarding the condition of the home. Further, you can contact rescue organizations in your area, particularly for cats -- they may get things moving more quickly. Be persistent.

Michelle L Radloff 248-767-0239. The advice provided here is provided under the limitations of Avvo's terms of use and does not establish an attorney/client relationship.

Carol Eileen Ryder

Carol Eileen Ryder

Another good point. Rescuers do outreach. Associates of my group does that (NY PAW-New Yorkers Protecting Animal Welfare). They go to homes and gently convince owners to give up animals, at least some, let the rescuers take them to the vet for treatment, shots and spay/neuter, they bring food, beds, leashes, bowls, vitamins, meds, dog houses and hay if the owners are still in need of convincing dogs need to be inside, etc.. They then continuously work with owners who do seem to be OK, and the shelters would have to PTS a lot of animals if those were added to the numbers... Your neighbor would be a prime candidate for outreach from rescuers, however they handle it. Just taking the cats away would not work-these people would get more, so the outreach people need to use "gentle persuasion".

Carol Eileen Ryder

Carol Eileen Ryder

Lousy grammar, BTW. I do not normally write this way.