Skip to main content

What will ultimately happen to me if i have an accident in which i have my permit and was driving without a legal driver ?

Lynn, MA |

I crashed her but she got right in my right of way without me having enough time to brake and prevent me from hitting her. I know i dont have a lisence so i guess it was "my fault" so i guess what im asking is what whats the worst case that could happen to me ? And can she sue me ?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Yes, she can sue you. Yes, your lack of a license could haunt you as your involvement in this collision can impact the future for you!

In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but insted need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice. If you want to be completely sure of your rights, you must sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney to be fully aware of your rights.


From the facts presented you were at fault so, yes, she can sue you. If there was insurance on the vehicle you were driving you should find out if it would cover you even though you were not a licensed driver. In Indiana, where I practice, sometimes unlicensed drivers will be covered under a policy and other times they are excluded, but I am not sure about Massachusetts. If you were ticketed by the police you may also want to consult with a traffic ticket attorney in your town.

Merry Fountain is licensed to practice law in Indiana. She can be contacted at 1-888-242-HURT. This is not legal advice and it does not create an attorney/client relationship. It is legal education intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. If the question does not include important timeframes and facts the answer could change. Merry Fountain strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state.


Whether or not you have a license is not what will determine fault. That depends on who was responsible, that is caused, the accident. Contact the insurance company for the car. In that you have your permit, there may be insurance coverage.


She can sue