What will nappen to my I-485 change of status application when I change my address?

Three Rivers, MI |

My I-485 change of status into an immigrant had been filed. I have been waiting for the approval of my application so I can have a greencard. What will happen if I transfer to another apartment located within the same city and state? Does this delay the approval of my greencard application?

It shouldn't as the interview will be at same application support center. The only problem I foresee is if the address change was made so late that interview notice was sent to old address and you don't get the notice and fail to appear at interview. You would be denied the green card for abandoning case by non-appearance.

I have an immigration lawyer. Does she receive also my notice of interview so she can tell me the interview appointment by emailing me?

Marc Aaron Asch

Marc Aaron Asch

Yes, the immigration lawyer should receive that.

Lawrence M. Kasen

Lawrence M. Kasen

Yes, the lawyer and you should receive the notice of interview when it is sent. These questions really should be directed to your attorney, who should be attentive to your needs.

You can file an AR-11 change of address form on the USCIS website. Also, make sure to change the address for all pending applications such as your I-485. If done properly, it will not affect or delay the approval of your green card application. You may also want to call USCIS to make sure they have the correct address on file after you do the change of address online.

Attorney Jennifer Ahn's answer is to provide general information only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter. The content of this answer is not intended to substitute accurate legal advice, which is relevant to all the facts and circumstances of your specific case. This answer does not create an Attorney-Client relationship.

Thank you for your answers. My another question is if the I-485 has been filed and now with the USCIS. What will happen if there is a change of address and is a different address filed in the applications? Can my file an AR-11 help it and will not affect or delay my greencard application?

Jennifer Heewon Ahn

Jennifer Heewon Ahn

Your attorney should be helping you with this. Can you talk to the attorney?

No. That does NOT delay the processing or approval of your application in any way. Just make sure to wait until you receive the filing receipts from USCIS before filing the obligatory AR=11 Address change form at www.uscis.gov Save a copy for your records and for extra security, after 2 weeks, not before call the CIS nationwide toll free number to ascertain that CIS now has your correct address.

Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.