Skip to main content

What will happen if I received a public urination ticket while under disciplinary probation ?

New Paltz, NY |

I recently received a public urination ticket from a college university officer at SUNY New Paltz. This unfortunately occurred in the middle of my disciplinary probation for a prior charge of unlawful marijuana possession. I am very worried as to what will happen when I appear in court. Do you have any legal advice that you can offer me?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Unfortunately, attorneys cannot advise you here on Avvo. Having said that, you violated your probation and the original crime may resurface. Speak with your attorney from the original crime.


By "disciplinary probation" do you mean you are on probation with SUNY? If so, SUNY can consider your ew case. I suggest you retain a good lawyer.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.


From the facts given, it sounds like you were not charged by the local police with anything. This sounds like an internal university matter. You should still retain an attorney.

If this answer was helpful please click that block. Answers in the forum are only general and it is always best to contact a criminal defense lawyer to discuss your case. We handle NY, NJ and all Federal Court cases. Bukh Law Firm P.C., 14 Wall Street, New York NY 10005, (212) 729-1632.


SUNY may institute disciplinary proceedings against you and will provide you with a process to defend yourself before the disiplining body if they are made aware of the violation and it is considered a violation of your probation. This is an internal matter to the university and your are entitled to a due process hearing since it is a public university.

If you found this "helpful" or "best answer," please click it with my appreciation. My response is for educational purposes and does not constitute legal advice nor creates an attorney client relationship which requires all the details and a personal conference.