What will happen if I don't report to jail as ordered?

Midland, TX |

Best Answer

Mr. Poulson's post is right on. Show up and do the 30. If you don't, you'll have a warrant out for you and I promise you that warrant will out last your ability to run, no question!

It's almost guaranteed that your 30 day stretch will not be 30 days. I had a client serve 8 days on a 30 day sentence. Show up, get it over with and move on. If you don't, you'll be prosecuted for any number of offenses and your 30 days will end up being more like a year or more.

I didn't show up as ordered Charles as I was out of the country for work but plan to turn myself in as soon as I get home. Do you really think that I might have to do a year? Might it be advisable for me to get an attorney prior to turning myself in?

Charles Elwood Soechting Jr.

Charles Elwood Soechting Jr.

While I understand being out of the country for work, the prudent thing to do would have been to have your original attorney contact the court and make arrangements to try and delay your surrender date. That said, no sense in looking back now. I suggest contacting your original attorney now (if you had a PD, then you need to find a local criminal defense lawyer), and explain the current situation. Find out whether there is a warrant or additional charges filed. If not, then have him/her work on setting a new surrender date. Good luck to you, I hope that you're able to show up and serve without additional issues.

They could issue a warrant, bust down your door at 2AM, and haul you off to jail. The prosecutor may try to find some way to withdraw the plea. They could charge you with a new offense, some sort of absconding. Hopefully, the police will not perceive a weapon in your hand, and if they do, may they taser you instead of shooting. If you do not survive the shooting, you will not have to serve the 30 days.

Report as ordered! Really!

We do not have a client/attorney relationship until you make an appointment, we discuss your case face to face, I accept a retainer, and we explictly agree to enter into representation.

I'm supposed to go on a job tomorrow that'll have me out of the country until mid July. At which time I'll report to jail. What'll happen if I don't show?

Barry Franklin Poulson

Barry Franklin Poulson

See above: warrant and arrest, possibly at the border on the way out, possibly at the border on the way back. You could contact your attorney and see if an agreement for delay could be reached. Just going sounds like a VERY bad idea.