Skip to main content


Elizabeth, NJ |

My EX refused to agree to the marital settlement and we have to go to trial.
What will happened before the JUDGE. Do I get divorce that day?.. The attorney I have told me that I have to pay him a lot of money.
This is 2 years married (2009 and filed divorce on 12/7/11). There is a CONDO I bought before marriage (2006) . She wants to get some money of it.
. Also, I still marriege to my first Wife (2008) Do you think that the woman I marriage in 2009 has any rights to my assets if I was married or this MARRIAGE(2009) IS VOID?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


The only money I can see her getting is whatever the increase in value was during the marriage. I doubt that is much. The trial will usually take a lot of days. It is very expensive.

Please be advised my answers to questions does not constitute legal advise and you should not rely on it, due to the fact that we have never met, I have not been aprised of the facts in you case nor have I reviewed any documents.


Trials can take several days and can be very expensive. The decisions is usually not given immediately. If you are not divorced from your first spouse, your second marriage is not technically valid. However, your current spouse could have some equitable claims.

This post is not legal advice and does not create a confidential attorney-client relationship. It is being offered for informational purposes only. You should not relay any confidential or priviliged material in this public forum. You should not rely on this post as legal advice. In order to obtain a more comprehensive answer to your question you should consult with an attorney of your choosing.


Lawyers are expensive. The issues you have right now should be discussed with the attorney you retained to represent you. If you are concerned about legal fees you should address this issue with your attorney for further clarification.

You probably signed a written retainer agreement. If you did, you should read it over. If you don't understand the agreement after you read it over, then take the agreement to the attorney and ask them to go over it for you with respect to legal fees.

Ask your attorney about what is considered "marital property" for further clarification about whether the condo is subject to equitable distribution.

DISCLAIMER This answer is provided for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site cannot be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices law in the State where this offense is charged; and, who has experience in the area of law you are asking questions about and with whom you would have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question, or in the State where this charge is filed. I am an attorney licensed to practice in the State of New Jersey. Consult a local attorney if your case arises outside the State of New Jersey. If you found this answer to be HELPFUL then you can vote that this answer was helpful. If you found this answer to be the BEST ANSWER of all those presented, then you can vote that this answer was the best answer presented. Also, please be advised that any response to any comments made by the asker do not create an attonrey client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer