Skip to main content

What will child protective services usually do in this case?

Brooklyn, NY |

I moved out at 18 at midnight without notifying my parents leaving a note on my bed stating I'm not kidnapped and not to contact me again. Before I left, CPS was involved. They still are. There is a car parked by my old address with hidden nanny camera which looks like a tissue box and I can see who enters and exits the home. If they come, I don't go to school the next day so I can avoid speaking to them in school. Before I plan on not coming to school, I want to know what CPS will usually do. I need experience.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


If you are 18 years old, then you are not required to live with your parents, and you are not required to speak with CPS. If CPS tries to talk to you and you don't want to talk, just say so. If they won't leave you alone, then tell them to speak with your lawyer, and have a number handy. You can find attorneys in your area by searching among the profiles here on AVVO. Good luck!

Ms. Brown may be reached at 718-878-6886 during regular business hours, or anytime by email at: All of Ms. Brown’s responses to questions posted on AVVO are intended as general information based upon the facts stated in the question, and are provided for educational purposes of the public, not any specific individual, and her response to the question above is not legal advice and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Brown is licensed to practice law in New York. If you would like to obtain specific legal advice about this issue, you must contact an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer