Skip to main content

What visa for non credit courses at university? B-1?

New York, NY |


I'm interested in doing some non-credit courses at NYU, but I'm not a US citizen and I'm not currently in the US. which kind of visa would I need to be able to attend those courses? the university said they don't have any particular visa requirement for those courses, so it's up to me to find one. Would the B-1 be the right one?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


B-1 is a possibility if these are short non-credit courses. But before going this route, let an immigration lawyer know what type of courses these are and your intention to exit upon completion of the short courses. J-1 might be a possibility as well but make sure that you are not subject to the 2-year foreign residence rule.

Madrid Crost Law Group - (888) 466-4478; e-mail:; skype: usvisalaw 10 S. La Salle Street, Suite 3320, Chicago, IL 60603 Please consult with a licensed immigration professional to provide you with a thorough legal advice. This response is not a substitute for specific legal advice and it should not be construed to create an attorney-client relationship. Please help stop notario fraud. Please visit and share this site:



yes these are short courses and they last a month each so I was planning to stay 5 months

Mary Carmen Remigio Madrid-Crost

Mary Carmen Remigio Madrid-Crost


I believe you're fine with the B-1 visa. You just hav eto be upfrot with the "usienss purpose' - which is to attend some short courses (that do not require a student visa). Be ready on how you could use those courses (if at all) to enhance whatever you are doing back home.


B-1 is for business. Perhaps a B-2.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


B1, is not proper, need evaluation B2, J visa could be an option too.

The above is intended as general information only and cannot be relied upon as legal advice. Call (212)880-1538 for detailed evaluation of your case. Laws change constantly and vary from state to state. The legal principals discussed may differ substantially from your personal situation. Therefore, You should consult an attorney about your particular situation. Visit us at WWW.USIMMIGRATIONPLUS.COM Contact Immigration Law Offices of Tsirina Goroshit at 275 Madison Avenue, 4th Floor New York, NY 10016

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer