Skip to main content

What type of work visa am I qualified for? Can I obtain one?

Houston, TX |

If i am offered a position from a company in the US that I Have not worked for before, can they obtain a work visa for me? How does this work? (I am canadian and the profession does not fall under the TN visa categories) Also it is an entry level position. I only hold a bachelors degree

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Go for the old H1b, available starting April 1, 2014, for a start date of October 1, 2014.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.



what do you mean available starting april? for start october 1?


The company/you can consider the H-1B, but it wouldn't be filed until April 1st of next year.

Kindly note that this posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Remember, this site is akin to an internet blog. Do not rely on information here to make important decisions in your life. Make an appointment to meet with a licensed attorney in his or her office (or via Skype or phone) to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.


While I agree with my colleagues that the H-1B is likely the most viable route, you should discuss this with an attorney to review all the facts in case there is some other visa option that may be available.


While you are considering your legal opinions make sure you do not lapse out of the legal status at ant time while present in the U.S. for such future COS.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional opinion, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and opinions stated above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual or legal circumstances related to one's current legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a comprehensive legal before making an educated decision about your particular legal issue. Respectfully, Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko, Chicago, Illinois 773-562-8602