There are 5 main ways an individual can obtain residency and work authorization in the United States:
1. Sponsorship by an Employer
3. Sponsorship by a close Family Member in the United States
4. The Diversity Visa Lottery Program
5. Asylum & Refugee Status
Adding up to Mr. Radtke's answer:
- Regarding Sponsorship by an Employer, Mexican (and Canadian) nationals with a college degree of certain professions are eligible for TN status (based on NAFTA).
- Mexican nationals do not qualify to the Diversity Visa Lottery Program.
- Regarding Asylum & Refugee Status cases, normally it is hard to prove persecution from Mexico.
[Disclaimer: in accordance with Avvo.com’s Terms and Conditions of Use, no Attorney-Client Relationship arises between you and me unless we have a written contract. This and all of my answers are intended for “general informational purposes only and should be used only as a starting point for addressing your legal issues.” Avvo.com Terms and Conditions of Use, section 9].